On his final visit overseas as Speaker of the House, Speaker Ryan spent time with our troops in Afghanistan to thank the men and women who continue to serve our country fighting the war against global terrorism. Joined by House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mac Thornberry (R-TX), the speaker traveled to multiple bases located throughout the country. For Speaker Ryan, there is no greater honor than visiting our troops, saying: “These brave soldiers have served, many on repeat deployments, and America stands firmly behind them in our gratitude.”
Here are seven photos from Speaker Ryan’s visit to our troops stationed in Afghanistan:
1. Equipment Demonstration – Troops stationed at Camp Shorab in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan show Speaker Ryan how to operate a piece of equipment.
2. Base Tour – Chairman Thornberry and Speaker Ryan are led by U.S. military officials on a tour of Camp Morehead near the Afghan capital of Kabul.
3. Bird’s-eye View – Speaker Ryan learns about U.S. military operations at Camp Morehead.
4. A Lesson in Aerial Systems – Speaker Ryan and Chairman Thornberry speak with the Task Force Southwest Marines about Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems (C-UAS) at Camp Shorab.
5. On Wisconsin – Speaker Ryan takes a photo with two soldiers (and Wisconsinites) stationed with the Task Force Southwest at Camp Shorab.
6. Military Vehicle – Speaker Ryan learns about the operations of a High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) vehicle.
7. U.S. Special Forces – While visiting Camp Shorab, the speaker talks with a U.S. Special Forces Ranger.