As you may have heard, the Speaker announced last month that after nearly two decades in Congress, this session will be his last. After that, it was right back to business: constituent meetings, advancing the House’s legislative agenda, press conferences and interviews, business tours, and more. April also brought a visit from President Macron of France, who delivered an address to a joint meeting of Congress, and a United States Army Soldier’s Medal ceremony honoring a hero among us.
Here are nine photos that show some of our favorite moments from the month of April:
1. The Press Conference – Members of the media gather as Speaker Ryan announces his retirement at the end of his term.
2. The Constituent Meeting – Speaker Ryan shares a laugh with the Schaeffer family, who were visiting from Burlington, WI.
3. The Squawk Box Interview – Speaker Ryan sits down with CNBC’s Squawk Box during their live Tax Day show from the Capitol.
4. The Soldier’s Medal Presentation – Speaker Ryan congratulates Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH) on receiving the Soldier’s Medal for Heroism from the United States Army. Rep. Wenstrup, a Colonel with the U.S. Army Reserve, received this award for his actions to save the life of Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA) during the shooting at the Congressional Baseball Game practice.
5. Take Your Children To Work Day – Following his annual “Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day” press conference, Speaker Ryan takes a photo with the children of Capitol Hill reporters.
6. The Made-In-Wisconsin Business Tour – Speaker Ryan tours AMTEC, a Janesville, Wisconsin-based company, that provides our military with state-of-the-art equipment.
7. The Office Tour – Speaker Ryan gives Janesville, Wisconsin’s St. John Vianney 8th graders a tour of his office, including a stop on the balcony to see one of the best views in DC.
9. The Southwest Airlines Employee Q&A – Joined by House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX) and Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly, Speaker Ryan listens as workers share how they're using their tax reform bonuses at the company's headquarters in Dallas, TX.