January was a busy month in Washington—perhaps the busiest one in years—but often times, what we see on prime time TV only tells half the story. Here are nine, behind-the-scenes photos that help fill in the gaps and highlight a few key moments from the Speaker's perspective.
1. Look Your Best - Speaker Ryan shows his son, Charlie, how to tie a tie.
2. The Gavel - After election to his first full term as Speaker, Speaker Ryan raises the gavel in gratitude to the 115th Congress.
3. Thanks, Joe - Speaker Ryan and Vice President Biden share a laugh as they stand at the rostrum before certifying the Electoral College results.
4. Inauguration Preparation - Speaker Ryan checks out the Inauguration stage just a few days before President Trump is sworn in as the 45th President.
5. Commercial Break - During a commercial break at his CNN Town Hall, Speaker Ryan takes a moment to talk more with an audience member who asked a question about the Republican alternative to Obamacare.
6. The Peaceful Transfer of Power - Speaker Ryan waves goodbye from the steps of the U.S. Capitol as President Obama departs.
7. Congratulations, Mr. President - Speaker Ryan and President Trump shake hands and agree to get to work for the American people.
8. Unified Government - President Trump and Vice President Pence arrive at a meeting for Congressional Republicans in Philadelphia.
9. A Special Relationship - Speaker Ryan and Prime Minister May of the United Kingdom meet for a wide-ranging discussion about strengthening the special relationship between our nations.