— Paul Ryan (@SpeakerRyan) December 1, 2016
Tomorrow, the House will vote on final passage of the annual National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). This bill, which continues a more-than-five-decade tradition of bipartisan support, funds our troops and helps keep Americans safe.
You can get the full details here, but in short the 2017 NDAA:
- Boosts base funding by $9 billion over the administration’s request to close the readiness gap, rebuild our military, and ensure our troops have the tools necessary to carry out their missions.
- Provides our troops with the largest pay raise they’ve seen in six years at 2.1 percent.
- Reforms our acquisition process to spend taxpayer dollars more wisely and get our troops cutting-edge technology quickly and efficiently.
- Maintains longstanding provisions to prohibit transferring Guantanamo Bay detainees to American soil.
- Helps combat sexual assault in the military by building upon past efforts with an improved reporting process and mandatory sentences for certain offenses.
A central plank of the House Republican #BetterWay agenda is to rebuild our military, support our troops, and protect our homeland. This is exactly what this year’s NDAA will help us accomplish. We expect a strong vote tomorrow, and urge President Obama to sign this critical bill into law once it reaches his desk.